Saturday, November 24, 2012

Flowers in November

Sydneian showers
Of sweet discourse, whose powers
Can crown old Winter's head with flowers.
   ~Richard Crashaw Wishes to his Supposed Mistress

Passing all wisdom, or its fairest flower.
   ~Richard Horne, Orion

Shed no tear -- O shed no tear!
The flower will bloom another year.
Weep no more -- O weep no more!
young buds sleep in the root's white core.
   ~John Keats Sonnet, On Seeing the Elgin Marbles

I gaze out the window on this dreary November morning.  The first snowfall of 2012 is contrasted with a geranium and a Christmas cactus in bloom.  Oh, how my heart sings!  Old Winter's head is crowned with fairest flowers, a promise of spring to come.



Pink and pretty, coral and green
Loveliest sight these eyes have seen
at Winter's beginning, a morning so drear-
Short days approaching, a dull time of year.
I gaze out my window, thankful for snow
That covers the garden, the weeds and the hoe-
Mocking reminder; summer is spent.
Winter is here now.  I feel discontent.
Yet,
The Lord is so lovely, so good and so fair
Like flowers in winter, He dresses with flair
The humblest of cacti, geranium too
I see not just flowers.  I look and see YOU.
Oh, Lord, how You bless me
With wonder anew,
with flowers in winter,
with visions of You!
Astonishment follows
I ponder Your love-
And delight that You give me
Good gifts from above.



Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. ~ James 1:17


No comments:

Post a Comment